YMF Past Award Winners - 2010
2010 YMF Awards
National Public Service Award!
The ASCE Committee on Volunteer Community Service awarded Seattle YMF the National 2010 Public Service Award, given to groups who have volunteered their time to help others in the their community, have influenced local policy or legislative affairs, and have improved the image of civil engineers. The committee was impressed by the wide variety of activities we undertook, ranging from community maintenance and cleanup projects to events designed to meet community needs. Congratulations to all our members for their active participation, and especially to Amanda Shellenberger for organizing so many wonderful activities last year! Seattle Younger Members will attend the Multi-Region Leadership Conference of the American Society of Civil Engineers in Costa Mesa, California in February to receive the award and cash prize on behalf of the YMF.
New Faces of Civil Engineering
Melissa Wu, P.E., M.ASCE
Associate Engineer, CH2M Hill
Melissa Wu, 28, has had a significant impact on all the projects on which she's worked, consistently reflected in positive feedback from clients. She has taken on large projects including the King County, Wash., Brightwater project, and small projects that requires business development and a different approach.
Wu's skill at building relationships led to Pierce County requesting options from CH2M HILL for design-build of a $300M wastewater treatment plant upgrade. She applies sustainable options whenever possible, such as developing beneficial uses for both reclaimed water and biosolids on projects, including an innovative phased approach to treatment and disposal that was both feasible and acknowledged the client's budget. On a recent project for Fort Lewis, Wu was instrumental in developing a new equalization scheme that not only better handles peak flows, but also reduces the cost of the treatment works.
Wu is currently working on the Spokane Riverside Park Water Reclamation Facility Program Management Project as project engineer for the Headworks Odor Control task, responsible for updating the conceptual design for odor control at the Headworks facility, helping to make the plant a better neighbor for the community.
Wu earned her bachelor's degree in civil engineering from the University of Michigan and her master's in environmental engineering from the University of California, Berkley. Involved with her local community through the Younger Member Forum of ASCE, she has volunteered for Rebuilding Together and helped at a local food bank distribution center. Wu also has participated on the CH2M HILL team for Seattle Works Day, and has done K-12 outreach with colleagues to help inspire young students to pursue science, technology, math, and engineering and to understand how much "fun" engineering can be.
- Local Awards
- 2018 Awards
- 2017 Awards
- 2016 Awards
- 2015 Awards
- 2014 Awards
- 2013 Awards
- 2012 Awards
- 2010 Awards
- ASCE CYM Awards
- WRYMC Awards
- ASCE Region 8 Awards
- PSEC Awards
- Call for 2018-2019 ASCE Seattle Local Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement Award Nominations
- Entry Form Due: March 15, 2019
- Call for 2018-2019 ASCE Seattle Officer Nominations
- Nominations Due: March 20, 2019
- Annual Scholarships Now Open for Civil Engineering Students
- Apply by April 20, 2019
- K-12 Outreach Event: Future City Volunteer Judging
- January 19 | Shoreline Community College
- ASCE YMF Eastside Networking
- January 22, 5:00pm - 7:00pm | Palomino, Bellevue
- ASCE YMF Tech Talk: Don Nugyen @ HDR: Bridge Engineering Register
- January 24, 6:00pm - 7:00pm | HDR, Bellevue
- ASCE YMF January Volunteer Event - Farestart
- January 24, 10:00am - 2:00pm | Farestart, Seattle
- ASCE YMF Westside Networking
- January 31, 5:00pm - 7:00pm | Stout, Seattle
- Tunnel to Viaduct 8K Run/Walk Register
- February 2, 11:00am | Seattle | Use code ASCE10 for 10% off!
- ASCE Volunteers Needed
- Urban Development & Transportation Committee, Legislative Committee, & YMF Popsicle Stick Bridge Volunteers Needed
©2015, American Society of Civil Engineers. All Rights Reserved.