The Seattle Section turned 100 years old in 2013!
The Seattle Section was founded on June 30th, 1913 and has since grown to nearly 2,500 members within King, Snohomish, Skagit, Island, Whatcom, San Juan, Kitsap, Clallam, and Jefferson Counties. The Section’s commitment to the advancement of civil engineers is demonstrated through its leadership, sense of community and dedication to the profession. From organizing professional development opportunities to recognizing the outstanding achievements of local civil engineers, the Section has a longstanding history of fostering the growth of civil engineers and celebrating their successes.
The ASCE Seattle Section is a proponent of key legislation to protect and advance the industry, and provides a unified voice for Seattle area civil engineers. One of the most notable roles of the Section is promoting education; providing scholarship opportunities to aspiring civil engineers and hosting technical training programs for young professionals.
In 2013, the Seattle Section celebrated our Centennial Year. To commemorate 100 years of professional service and civil engineering achievements, the Section hosted a yearlong centennial celebration. This program featured a series of events and activities to both honor the professional community and engage the public and civic leaders in the celebration of local civil engineers.
From the bridges and infrastructure that connect the diverse landscape of Puget Sound, to the landmarks that distinguish the Seattle area as a hub for innovation and technology; civil engineers have profoundly shaped the development of the Puget Sound region. The Centennial Year celebration will honor the People, Projects and Policies that are monumental to both the advancement of the civil engineering profession and development of the Seattle area.
The Seattle Section has a rich history of representing civil engineers in the Northwest over the past 100 years. To learn about the establishment of the Section, and the various elements that have made-up the Section's activities over the past 100 years, please read the follow documents.
Marquee Centennial Gala
Please see link for photos.
The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Seattle Section hosted the Marquee Centennial Gala at the new Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI) in Lake Union Park.
A big Thank You to our Centennial Corporate Sponsors!
MOHAI Exhibit Panels
The Civil Engineers that Built Seattle – Centenary Exhibit is a museum quality display consisting of 10 panels spotlighting the “people” aspect of civil engineering, focusing on the civil engineers who have built projects and created organizations that have contributed to the growth of Northwest Washington state. The exhibition describes their dreams, failures, and political battles that characterized their various works. The exhibition was developed in cooperation between the History & Heritage and Centennial Committees to showcase the Section’s Centennial heritage and to raise public awareness within the non-engineering community of the essential contribution of civil engineers.
- Annual Scholarships Now Open for Civil Engineering Students
- Apply by April 20, 2019
- ASCE WRE Lunch Presentation
- April 18, 12:00pm - 1:00pm | Brown & Caldwell Seattle Office
- ASCE Seattle Section Dinner Meeting Register
- April 24, 5:30pm - 8:00pm | Executive Inn, Seattle
- ASCE COPRI Seattle Chapter Meeting Register
- April 24, 5:30pm - 8:00pm | Mirabella, Seattle
- ASCE Seattle Geotechnical Group - Spring Short Course 2019: Excavation Support & Dewatering Register
- April 26, 7:15am - 4:30pm | Columbia Tower Club, Seattle
- ASCE Seattle Geotechnical Group - Spring Seminar 2019: Excavation Support & Dewatering Register
- April 27, 8:00am - 5:00pm | Kane Hall, University of Washington, Seattle
- Rebuilding Together 2019 - Volunteer Opportunity Register
- April 27, 8:00am - 4:00pm | West Seattle
- ASCE YMF Tech Talk: Construction Observation and Inspection
- April 30, 6:00pm - 7:00pm | Kennedy Jenks, Seattle
- UW Student Presentation Judges Needed
- April 30, 5:00pm - 6:30pm | More Hall, University of Washington, Seattle
- ASCE Volunteer Opportunity: Curiosity Days
- May 4 & May 5 | Pacific Science Center, Seattle
- ASCE YMF Annual Executive Forum
- May 23, 6:30pm - 8:30pm | Seattle Central Library
- ASCE Volunteers Needed
- Urban Development & Transportation Committee & Legislative Committee