The Seattle Section turned 100 years old in 2013!
The Seattle Section was founded on June 30th, 1913 and has since grown to nearly 2,500 members within King, Snohomish, Skagit, Island, Whatcom, San Juan, Kitsap, Clallam, and Jefferson Counties. The Section’s commitment to the advancement of civil engineers is demonstrated through its leadership, sense of community and dedication to the profession. From organizing professional development opportunities to recognizing the outstanding achievements of local civil engineers, the Section has a longstanding history of fostering the growth of civil engineers and celebrating their successes.
The ASCE Seattle Section is a proponent of key legislation to protect and advance the industry, and provides a unified voice for Seattle area civil engineers. One of the most notable roles of the Section is promoting education; providing scholarship opportunities to aspiring civil engineers and hosting technical training programs for young professionals.
In 2013, the Seattle Section celebrated our Centennial Year. To commemorate 100 years of professional service and civil engineering achievements, the Section hosted a yearlong centennial celebration. This program featured a series of events and activities to both honor the professional community and engage the public and civic leaders in the celebration of local civil engineers.
From the bridges and infrastructure that connect the diverse landscape of Puget Sound, to the landmarks that distinguish the Seattle area as a hub for innovation and technology; civil engineers have profoundly shaped the development of the Puget Sound region. The Centennial Year celebration will honor the People, Projects and Policies that are monumental to both the advancement of the civil engineering profession and development of the Seattle area.
The Seattle Section has a rich history of representing civil engineers in the Northwest over the past 100 years. To learn about the establishment of the Section, and the various elements that have made-up the Section's activities over the past 100 years, please read the follow documents.
Marquee Centennial Gala
Please see link for photos.
The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Seattle Section hosted the Marquee Centennial Gala at the new Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI) in Lake Union Park.
A big Thank You to our Centennial Corporate Sponsors!
MOHAI Exhibit Panels
The Civil Engineers that Built Seattle – Centenary Exhibit is a museum quality display consisting of 10 panels spotlighting the “people” aspect of civil engineering, focusing on the civil engineers who have built projects and created organizations that have contributed to the growth of Northwest Washington state. The exhibition describes their dreams, failures, and political battles that characterized their various works. The exhibition was developed in cooperation between the History & Heritage and Centennial Committees to showcase the Section’s Centennial heritage and to raise public awareness within the non-engineering community of the essential contribution of civil engineers.
- Call for 2018-2019 ASCE Seattle Local Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement Award Nominations
- Entry Form Due: March 15, 2019
- Call for 2018-2019 ASCE Seattle Officer Nominations
- Nominations Due: March 20, 2019
- Annual Scholarships Now Open for Civil Engineering Students
- Apply by April 20, 2019
- Puget Sound Engineering Council Awards Dinner Sign Up
- February 16, 6:00pm - 8:00pm | Shoreline Community College
- ASCE YMF Eastside Networking Event
- February 20, 5:30pm - 7:30pm | Washington Talking Book & Braille Library
- ASCE YMF Volunteer Event at Washington Talking Book & Braille Library
- February 21, 5:00pm - 7:00pm | Tavern Hall, 505 Bellevue Sq, Bellevue
- ASCE YMF Tech Talk
- February 26, 6:00pm - 7:00pm | SoundEarth Strategies, 2811 Fairview Ave E, Seattle
- ASCE Seattle Joint February Dinner Meeting with the ASCE Geotechnical Group Register
- February 28, 5:30pm - 8:30pm | Best Western Plus Executive Inn, Seattle
- ASCE YMF Westside Networking Event
- February 28, 5:00pm - 7:00pm | Outlander Brewing, 225 N 36th St, Seattle
- ASCE University of Washington Student Chapter Winter Social
- February 28, 5:00pm - 8:00pm | Husky Union Building (HUB), University of Washingtion, Seattle
- ASCE Volunteers Needed
- Urban Development & Transportation Committee, Legislative Committee, & YMF Popsicle Stick Bridge Volunteers Needed